Friday, January 29, 2010

Chicken and Cookies Challenge - Week 6

Sick... again. I seriously think there is some condition which makes me develop which ever kind of cold/flue/disease that's going around. Agenta Rush (Grandma) decided to pick up a cold from somewhere and I decided to join her... except I had to one up her and go for a sinus infection. The problem with me and coughing is that astma can quickly lead whatever normal cold I have into bronchitis... which could send me to the hospital... again.

Chicken this week? Soup... homemade chicken noodle soup in the crock pot. Mostly because I really wanted to give Rush's new crock pot a try.

 My mother purchased this crock pot for Rush from Sam's Club. It has so much more space than mine (which is older than me) and it is super easy to clean as the inner bowl comes out. This is wonderful as it lets you take it out to clean it or set it on the table. There are only two things I can complain about: the outer shell gets super hot (scalding hot) and there's no real feature to just have it on high or low (it has to be set for a time at high or low).

Ingredients:
1 package thin sliced chicken
1 package egg noodles
3 boxes chicken broth
1 bunch celery
5-6 carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bags frozen onions

I set it on the longest setting available on high cook. In reality it doesn't really matter to me how long it cooks for, you know when soup is done. After setting the cooker on high, go ahead and get the broth in to get it to boil. In a sauce pan go ahead and cook up the onions. If yours are like mine, you forgot about them in the freezer for awhile and they got a bit freezer burned, and now they're a chunk of onion scented ice. Chop up the chicken and throw it into the broth. Add the garlic. While the onion ice is melting/cooking, peel and chop the carrots, clean and chop the celery. Throw in the leafy celery bits into the soup as well. Once the ice becomes onions throw them into the pot as well. Wait for a few hours, stirring occasionally. Before enjoying the soup boil some water and cook up the egg noodles. Your soup is now complete. To make the soup last longer (stretch a buck) put 2/3 of the soup into 2 large Tupperware containers with 2/3 of the noodles. Add enough broth (extras from the pantry) to fill to 1 inch under the brim. Freeze! Then place the inner section of the crock pot on the table, add the noodles, and then add more broth if its needed.

The cookies? My throat is sore this week so I made peach jello I found in the cabinet. I do not like to be normal so I had to add in diet ginger ale instead of cold water.


Now after you've mixed the soda into the hot liquid pour it into a container that has a lid and press some saran wrap right onto the surface of the liquid jello. This will keep it from making that nasty homemade jello film on top.

Follow with Zicam, antibiotics, and Tussin (the off brand kind)

~Emme


No comments:

Post a Comment